PROCEDURES FOR APPLICATION OF NEW PASSPORTS
Procedures for application of new passports through Embassies are as follows:
1. All new passports will be issued at the Immigration Department Headquarters in Dar es Salaam and in Zanzibar.
2. The application for a new passport should be submitted at the Embassy by the applicant him/herself.
The Embassy has been delegated to process all applications from holders of old authentic Tanzanian passports.
3. The Embassy will then send the completed application forms, relevant documents and passport fee to the Immigration Headquarters for the issuance of new passports.
The Immigration Headquarters will then send the new passports to the relevant applicants through the Embassy.
4. Passport fee
- Application forms US$10 each or Euro 10
- Passport fee US$40 or Euro 40
Applicants in Italy are required to pay in Euro, which is equivalent to 50 US$. Fee varies depending on the rate. It should be noted that the applicant would be required to re-pay for any replacement of the application form. Hence, accuracy should be observed during the process of filling the forms.
5. Application forms
The application forms are available at the Chancery.
You are advised to visit the Embassy Homepage to download the form, study and understand the contents and prepare all the necessary information.
The original application form will be issued by the Passport Officer during the meeting with him/her at the Embassy.
The applicant will be required to sign the properly filled application form in presence of a Passport Officer using a special designated pen and his/her fingerprints will be taken.
The applicant is required to submit 8 passport size photos with a light blue background.
The recommended size is 4.5cm × 4.0 cm.
The applicant is also required to submit his/her previous passport for verification, together with copies of page 1 - 4, last page that shows the Dossier Number, the page with visa/permit and a copy of a his/her resident permit.
Other documents to be submitted are indicated on the application form.
Please submit them if you didn't submit during the application of your previous passport.
7. The applicant will be allowed to retain his/her previous passport during the processing of the new passport.
However, he/she will be asked to submit it to the Embassy through registered mail for cancellation when the new passport arrives.
The Embassy will then send the new and the cancelled passport to the bearer.
8. Child endorsement in the passport
Kindly note that there is no endorsement of children in the passports any more.
Every Tanzanian citizen is required to have her/his own passport.
When making passport applications for the first time, you need to have an original birth certificate and produce a copy for certification.
Other requirements and procedures are same as above.
9. Replacement of lost passport
Applicant who has lost his/her passport is required to submit a police report and a proof of an advertisement in the local newspaper on the same, as well as a letter addressed to the Commissioner-general of Immigration Services stating in detail reasons for loss of passport.
For the first lost case the passport fee cost is double of the normal one (US$ 100 or equivalent in Euro) and for the second lost case is three times (i.e. US$ 150 or equivalent in Euro).
The applicant will also follow the same procedures as it is listed above.
10. Change of name in the passport
For anyone who wishes to change his/her name for any reason such as marriage, etc., he/she will be required to submit new application, which will bear the new name.
In addition to normal documents that are enclosed during the application of new passport, they need to submit a supporting document on change of name (from lawyer, marriage certificate etc.).
EMERGENCY TRAVEL DOCUMENT (ETD)
Emergency Travel Document (ETD) will be issued for Tanzanians who are travelling on emergency reasons. The ETD can enable them to travel only to Tanzania. ETD could be issued due to the following reasons:
- Loss of passport (Please attach a police report on the loss of passport)
- Travelling to Tanzania to process a new passport
- Travelling to Tanzania on an emergence while waiting for the processing of your passport application.
ETD fee is Euro 15
Other requirements are;
- 2 passport sized photos
- evidence that the applicant is a Tanzanian
- a police report and newspaper advertisement for lost passport
- a copy of travel itinerary for those who are travelling to Tanzania
The applicant can send the application by registered mail if he lives far from Rome.
When the ETD is processed, it can also be sent to applicant through the same way. The applicant is responsible for the cost of sending the ETD by registered mail.